ADVOCACY ADVISOR GREAT GREEN WALL
An exciting opportunity has arisen at Tree Aid for an Advocacy Advisor focused on leading on one of the priorities of our Global Advocacy Agenda: Improving the accessibility of international climate and development funding for local communities across the drylands of Africa, with a strong focus on the Great Green Wall (GGW) Initiative.
Join Tree Aid as we expand our operations in a rapidly evolving field to further increase our impact and influence across the drylands of Africa. In this critical period in the global fight against the climate and biodiversity crisis, this newly created position will play a key role.
Tree Aid works with people in the drylands of Africa to tackle poverty and the effects of the climate crisis by growing trees, improving people’s incomes, and restoring and protecting land. Led by local people, our projects promote nature-based solutions (NbS) that harnesses biodiversity and ecosystem services to reduce vulnerability and build resilience to climate change. Since 1987, we have grown more than 22 million trees and worked with more than 1.8million people.
The Advocacy Advisor – Great Green Wall is a new position that will work within the UK Advocacy Team to coordinate and support the Mosaic Coalition which Tree Aid has built in partnership with ICRAF CIFOR and ReSaD (Réseau Sahel Désertification). This coalition aims to (1) facilitate a more direct disbursement of funding to local civil society and communities in the GGW to restore their environment, and (2) promote locally led land governance across the GGW.
The position will aim to raise visibility of its messaging and mission among relevant donors, funders and policy makers, both in country and internationally across the Great Green Wall. The advisor will provide strategic advice to shape the Mosaic coalition strategy & action plan, oversee the development of adequate evidence and lead on its dissemination through engagement in relevant networks and events.
As the Advocacy Advisor, you will:
- Monitor international ongoing conversations about the reform of international climate & development funding towards more locally led disbursement channels, especially in the GGW Initiative
- Provide strategic advice to support the shaping of the Mosaic coalition strategy and advocacy plan
- Coordinate and mobilise Mosaic coalition actors (ICRAF, Resad and others)
- Extend, manage and maintain key relationships for the Mosaic coalition
- Oversee the development of relevant evidence to support our advocacy messaging
- Engage in high level international coalitions, events and networking in line with our goals.
- Organise relevant advocacy activities (evidence dissemination, event participation, networking, communications)