About Landell Mills
Landell Mills Ltd (www.landell-mills.com) is a leading private international development consulting firm. We have been in business for over 35 years and are active across the merging and development world. Our mission is to assist our clients to participate actively in the global economy whilst protecting their fragile environments and vulnerable communities in the process. We work with private and public sector clients on assignments lasting from a few days to several years. Our work is ordinarily financed by international development agencies such as the EU, DFID, and Asian Development Bank. We provide services across all areas of the programme cycle from project identification through to implementation and evaluations. We work in the areas of:
• Markets, enterprise and trade
• Agriculture, fisheries, food security and nutrition
• Natural resource management and climate change
• Policy, dialogue, governance and regional integration
The position is with the Asia/Pacific Division. The position is based in Trowbridge, Wiltshire. The UNESCO World Heritage City of Bath is a 20-minute train ride away, and Bristol - the 2015 European Green Capital - is 40 minutes away. You should have the right to work within the UK. The salary is £21,000 with 23 days holiday per year. While the work base is in the UK you will be expected to travel to Asia as required for short visits (anything up to approximately 3 weeks).
Exact tasks to depend on work portfolio at the time.
1. To provide support to more senior project executives in the management of on-going projects. For example, a groundwater project in Kabul and an integrated water resources management project in Bhutan and Nepal. Tasks will include support to:
• Ensure that project documentation and filing is complete.
• Review and edit project technical and progress reports.
• Ensure that project budgets are updated, and the project financial system is working as intended. This will include liaising with the finance division to ensure project accounts are to a high standard, invoices are submitted on time…etc.
• Prepare contract extensions
• Find consultants for new or replacement positions
• Prepare consultant contracts ensuring terms are negotiated with the best possible outcome for the company.
• Market project success through the company website and other communication channels
• Ensure that consultants are supported as required in terms of flights, visas…etc, although in most cases this task will be delegated to the project administrator.
2. To contribute to the identification, research, and procurement of consultancy projects in the region, in Landell Mills’ core areas. This will include support to:
• The identification of opportunities.
• Once opportunities are identified, assess the requirements of the donor/client seeking assistance, the objectives of the assignment, and research suitable partners in order to put the company in the best position for winning any eventual tender;
• The preparation of qualification documents (expressions of interest...);
• The preparation of tender dossiers, including technical methodology, staffing, work programmes etc. In preparing the methodology the executive will need to undertake research on the subject in question, identify the problems which the project will address, formulate solutions, and then prepare a plan of action for implementing such solutions.
• Negotiating rates with consultants before they are included on bids.
• Formatting CVs
• Preparing the financial proposal ensuring that the expected margin is in line with Landell Mills’ expectations.
• Establishing networks of contacts in the region.
3. To liaise with other divisions in the company so as to exchange information, leads, approaches, technology etc and to ensure that the company develops a coherent image in the market place and a consistent approach to clients. A pro-active stance will be taken in helping the company to identify shortcomings in its strategy, policies, procurement, marketing, IT facilities, organisational structure and methods and proposing improvements to these.
Candidate Qualifications and Experience
• A degree in a subject of relevance to the company’s work
• Strong analytical and writing skills
• Good knowledge of Microsoft word and excel
• Previous experience in the above subject matters, and/or in development work, is preferred but not mandatory. i.e. graduates can apply
• An interest and understanding in the commercial aspects of a business – e.g. the need to negotiate with partners and sub-contractors to get the best deal – and the need to be client focused
• A willingness to travel, including to Afghanistan
Please write a short covering e-mail explaining why you wish to be considered for this position and submit a full CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Project Exec’ in the subject title. Please also state when you may be able to take up the role. The deadline for applications is Sunday 18th February 2018.
Apply for position