Bond 'Introduction to International Development' - 1 day training course
POSTPONED: Please email email@example.com for more information
Cost - includes sandwich lunch, refreshments and any course materials:
SWIDN Individual Members/Member orgs with annual turnover under £1M: £150
SWIDN or Bond Member orgs with annual turnover £1-2M: £200
SWIDN or Bond Member orgs with annual turnover above £2M: £310
Not members of Bond or SWIDN: £420
Join SWIDN here!
This unique Bond introductory course has been completely revised to reflect the latest thinking and practice in international development and will quickly bring you up to speed with the most important global issues and emerging debates. You will learn about the historical context to development work, the global balance of power and the major actors, as well as the current approaches to development and what makes for successful development work.
Who is it for?
This course is suitable for people who are new to international development, thinking of moving into the sector or wanting to gain a greater understand of the ‘bigger picture’. It is also appropriate for those wanting to refresh their knowledge of the theory and practice of development work.
What you will learn
- Understand the historical context, theories and principles of development
- Learn about the global balance of power and the big players
- Identify the pros and cons of different approaches to development
- Evaluate the UK's role in development and discover how development is financed
- Explore the implications of climate change for development
- Learn how the Sustainable Development Goals will influence development
- Consider how the world of development will change and the implications for you and your organisation
A selection of 5-6 modules from the below will be taught on the day (modules to be selected in advance on a majority basis by the training group):
- What is development?
- Development patterns and key players
- Approaches to development
- Financing development
- The UK's role in development
- Sustainability and climate change
- The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- The future of development
About the trainer
Jane Davies has designed and delivered training for many different audiences including teachers, humanitarian workers and volunteers. She started working in development in 1998 as a VSO volunteer and has also been a Senior Education Officer with ActionAid.
How to book
If you are interested in booking a place on this course, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org